Wednesday 5 November 2014

It's been a while..

Wednesday 5th November '14 - Bonfire/ Guy Fawkes/ Fireworks Night!

Hey lovelies, so so sorry for my absence recently! I know I haven't kept up my daily blog and I've really only just started - I am disappointed in myself but it hasn't been without reason. I won't got into too much detail (but saying that I probably will...) I hope you can forgive me and for the people who do keep coming back to read my ramblings - welcome back and hello, I hope you've been good!

<---Look! Starbucks have now got the Christmas cups back!

But anyways I'm back and hopefully *fingers crossed* staying back!

To be honest I haven't had the energy or the want to write really, things at work have been crappy and I've been let go, they are making cuts wherever they can and so yeah, no more work for me. Well not there anyway, towards the end they started to pick faults with anything and everything and if I'm being brutally honest I am kinda glad that I'm out of there! I mean it is good timing in a way as it is my birthday in 3 days time (November 8th!) and christmas soon so I needn't worry about having to try and fight to book time off etc, but on the other hand - no money, I'm for a few weeks I will still be being paid and getting my bonus through, but I need to be extremely sensible!


Happy Bonfire Night Folks! Make sure you stay safe, yeah?

Remember, remember the fifth of November ... today is known as Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night and Firework Night.

It is an annual celebration observed on November 5th for more than 400 years following the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 when 13 conspirators planned to blow up Parliament and kill King James I.

Fawkes was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords.

People in London lit bonfires to celebrate the failure of the plot, and an act of Parliament was passed to appoint the date as a day of thanksgiving for the "joyful deliverance of James I". This act remained in force for 254 years, until 1859.

To mark the occasion, here are some facts about Guy Fawkes, gunpowder and fireworks:
  • Political protesters sometimes wear Guy Fawkes masks to protect their identity. You might recognise these masks if you’ve seen the film V for Vendetta, which is very loosely based on the story of Guy Fawkes.
  • The only place in the UK that does not celebrate Guy Fawkes Night is St. Peter’s School in York. Guy Fawkes went there as a boy and they refuse to burn his image in respect for their former pupil.
  • Guy Fawkes wasn’t the main conspirator in the Gunpowder Plot, but he had one of the most important roles. He guarded the gunpowder underneath the Houses of Parliament, and had he not been caught, he would have been charged with lighting it.
  • Physicists from the Institute of Physics have calculated that the 2,500kg of gunpowder Fawkes hid would have wreaked damage almost 500 metres from the centre of the explosion.
  • Fireworks were invented when a Chinese cook accidentally discovered how to make explosive black powder - the early origin of gunpowder - during the 10th century. The cook accidentally mixed three common kitchen ingredients - potassium nitrate or saltpetre (a salt substitute used in the curing of meat), sulphur and charcoal and set light to the concoction. The result was colourful flames. The cook also noticed that if the mixture was burned when enclosed in the hollow of a bamboo shoot, there was a tremendous explosion.
  • Fireworks arrived in Europe in the 14th century and were first produced by the Italians. The first recorded display was in Florence. The first recorded fireworks in England were at the wedding of King Henry VII in 1486.
  • Dummies have been burned on bonfires since as long ago as the 13th century, initially to drive away evil spirits. Following the gunpowder plot of 1605, the focus of the sacrifices switched to Guy Fawkes' treason.
  • It is said that the word ‘guy’ actually comes from the name Guy Fawkes. It originally meant “an ugly, repulsive person” but, throughout the years, simply became a synonym for “man”.
  • One suggested origin for the word ‘bonfire’ is that derives from 'bone-fire', and comes from a time when the bodies of witches, heretics and other misfits were burned instead of being buried in holy ground.
  • The Houses of Parliament are still searched by the Yeomen of the Guard before the state opening which has been held in November since 1928. The idea is to ensure no modern-day Guy Fawkes is concealed in the cellars.
How do you celebrate Guy Fawkes Night? We are off to watch the Fireworks tonight in Canterbury!
Oh and if you like associating songs with specific events then listen to Bonfire Heart by James Blunt - very apt for today! And lovelies, enjoy yourself but most of all make sure you take care and be safe!

So.. What've you missed other than the whole work situation? Not a whole lot to be honest! I had a bed day yesterday and spent the majority of the time with a curled up Seren on my tummy and we we're both enjoying the warmth and watching Netflix! 

Look at the snuggly baby boy! When we first moved in he appeared at our backdoor - us and our housemates let him in when it's chilly and dark and really just whenever he's hungry, we all feed him and sometimes multiple dinners if we haven't realised he's already eaten! He eats, snuggles and then goes back outside exploring! He was a stray so it's not fair to keep him indoors but especially now the weathers turning we need to make sire he stays warm and fed! I'm sure he appreciates it in his own special way! He's got a bit of a runny nose at the mo though, so extra cuddles need to be given!

I know that I have written this post pretty early today but I've been sat in Starbucks for a while now, Freya is busy today with her Uni work and also a field trip to a prison today! So I'm making the most of having a free day - guess there are going to be more of those now that I'm jobless - wahoo, at least it's through no fault of my own eh! Going to head home soon to possibly have a nap and a cuddle up with either the cat or our teddies, it's so chilly outside today! I'm so excited to get wrapped up so warm in huge jumpers and scarves and hats tonight to go and watch the fireworks! Have a wonderful evening!

I am also ridiculously looking forward to tomorrow as we are taking the 4 and a half hour drive back up North to see all of my family and get away for a while for my birthday! I miss them all so much and so does Freya. So it's going to be wonderful to see them all again! Not long now until we are going to be up there permanently! Neither of us can wait!

But make sure to pop back tomorrow as I'm sure they'll be photos of last night and the drive up tomorrow etc.. to show you!

Bird of today is going to be - The Snowy Owl - or Hedwig to some of you Harry Potter fans out there! The snowy owl is also known as the Arctic Owl or the Great White Owl. The oldest Snowy Owl living in the wild was recorded to be 9 years and 5 months. A captive Snowy Owl lived for at least 28 years. Snowy owls are mostly white with narrow, sparse brown bars and spots. Their golden colored eyes are rather small for an owl and their toes and claws are thickly covered with feathers. They are among the largest North American owl species. They live mainly in the North of America and Canada also Alaska!
That's all for today Kiddos! Have a wonderful Bonfire Night/ Fireworks Night/ Guy Fawkes Night and make sure you stay safe!
See you tomorrow!







No comments:

Post a Comment